Monday, July 18, 2016

Steel Bearing Hand "Steel Bearing Hand" 2015 Razorback Recordings

Crawling out of the swampy graveyards of Dallas, Texas comes Steel Bearing Hand and their brand of thrashing death metal. At times, the band has riffs that remind me of NunSlaughter, Whiplash, Autopsy, Incantation, and Razor, but it all becomes a killer musical alloy after it's mixed together and enough brutality is applied, creating an excellent old-school death metal whole. The sword and sorcery lyrical bent is a welcome change from the typical Satan and gore fixation that death metal has always had. I know those topics are metal tradition at this point but sometimes a break from it is necessary. I'm eager to hear more from this band based on the strength of this album. I'm not sure how interested I am in 8 or 9 minute songs, really, but these held my interest well enough this time around. The band jumps from strength to strength in such a way that I didn't seem to notice the length of time, where usually songs that long are a huge negative for me. Overall, this is a good debut record, and I'll be interested in seeing what comes next from this Texas outfit. And as a fan of old sword and sorcery stories, keep up the good work in the lyrical department!