Friday, November 13, 2015

Under the Church "Rabid Armageddon" 2015 Pulverised Records

I must admit to never having been a huge fan of Nirvana 2002, but I've never disliked the band, either. When I learned that two of their members had roles in Under the Church, I decided I should definitely hear this, and pay attention. It's filthy old-style Swedish death metal, much like the demo days of some of our current favorites from the old guard. The heavy chainsaw guitar sound is there, but this isn't over-produced and too well-recorded for its own good like some of the current bands in this style. The dirt in the sound does this justice and helps the chaos. Imagine if Entombed/Nihilist or Dismember was crossed with Repulsion and Autopsy. That's what this record calls forth. It's old and rotten and horrid and heavy. I wasn't as keen on some of the vocal patterns used, and the vocalist sounds a bit like he's running out of breath from time to time, but it's a small quibble for me. As a whole, all the elements of this album work well together. I look forward to the next album, to be sure.

Under the Church